Emergency Department Support
Company: Tuality Healthcare
Posted on: July 30, 2022
POSITION SUMMARY The ED Support Technician performs clinical and
clerical support duties to facilitate the smooth functioning of the
patient care unit. Provides support to nursing and physician staff
in the Hillsboro Medical Center Emergency Department by performing
tasks which assist in the treatment and care of patients with
illness or injuries, following hospital policy. Coordinates
communication within the department and other departments. Reports
to the Clinical Nurse Manager for shift activities, or to the
relief charge RN in the absence of Nurse Leader or Nurse Manager
and is under the direct supervision and delegation responsibilities
of the Nurse Manager. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES Performed majority of
the time: * Assists licensed personnel in maintaining inventory and
* Schedules and coordinates ordered services.
* Assists in admissions, transfers, and discharges. Arranges
transportation at the direction of the clinical staff.
* Scans clinical information into chart after clinical staff has
* Coordinates the safekeeping of patient valuables including
labeling with name of patient.
* Coordinates clinical information to appropriate people.
* Maintains physician roster with updates.
* Coordinates and/or transports specimens to lab.
* Requests medical records from other facilities as directed by
* Performs and documents tasks and activities in an ongoing,
timely, accurate, concise and systematic manner, following hospital
* Promptly reports equipment failure to facilitate repairs.
* Maintains resource documents (i.e. procedure manuals, reference
books, user manuals, etc. and knows where and how to look up
policy/procedures on portal).
* Attends and participates in departmental staff meetings,
* Maintains a clean and organized work area. Performed occasionally
but critical to successful performance of the job: * Performs
skills of basic life support in code blue situations.
* Orders special equipment/supplies as requested.
* Act as Patient Safety Attendant for behavioral health patients as
* Completes all department education and competencies in the time
frame designated. Decision making and budget responsibilities: *
Impact limited to the employee.
* No budget responsibility. JOB SPECIFICATIONS Education: Required
* High school diploma or equivalent. Preferred * Training as an EMT
or equivalent, or advanced education in a healthcare field.
Experience: Required * Minimum one (1) year patient care experience
in an acute care or pre-hospital setting. Will consider military
experience as medical personnel and/or senior clinical nursing
student. Preferred * N/A Licenses, Certifications and/or
Registrations: Required * American Heart Association Healthcare
Provider BLS preferred upon hire, or required within 90 days of
hire. Preferred * CNA certification. Job Related Skills, Abilities
and Behaviors: Required * Knowledge of basic anatomy and
physiology, i.e., EKG monitoring, bandage changes, splints, vital
signs, casting, blood draws, point of care urine analysis, and
* Knowledge of basic care procedures. Must understand sterile
* Ability to adapt to fluctuating workload, efficiently prioritize
work, manage time, organize, and problem solve.
* Functions effectively in a stressful environment, ability to
multitask and work with frequent interruptions.
* Possess working knowledge of medical terminology and demonstrates
basic math skills.
* Able to access and accurately enter data into a computer.
* Presents a professional personal appearance that makes a good
* Experience working in highly confidential settings.
* Provides a professional, welcoming environment for patients and
* Utilizes electronic equipment and communication devices.
* Have skills according to departmental procedures to perform: o
Oropharyngeal suction o Urine Spec collection o Capillary blood
glucose o Cardiac monitor set-up w/rhythm strips o Hypothermia
blanket set-up o Pelvic exam set-up/assist o Ice/hot/cold pack
application o Sterile filed set-up o Non-sterile dressing
application o Specimen handling o Patient transports o Visual
Acuity o Vital signs o 12 lead EKG o Pediatric U-bag application o
Height and weight o Simple wound cleaning o Ring removal o
Splint/ortho appliance applications o Phlebotomy o Supply
order/restock o Suture/staple removal o Bed turnover o Steri Strips
* Uses/maintains equipment based on departmental policies and
* Prioritizes workload.
* Responds to customer need in person and over the telephone in
courteous and constructive manner. Preferred * Bilingual skills a
plus. Additional Posting Information Hillsboro Medical Center
believes in providing equal employment opportunities for all
qualified individuals. Recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers,
working conditions, training, and compensation will be based on
qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, religion, age, creed, national
origin, marital status, family relationship, veteran status,
genetic information, physical or mental disability, or any other
status or characteristic protected by applicable law. We further
commit ourselves to continuing the practical application of this
policy in our daily business conduct.
Keywords: Tuality Healthcare, Hillsboro , Emergency Department Support, Other , Hillsboro, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!