The Medical Receptionist is the first point of contact for new
patients/families, the familiar voice for current patients/families
and an appointment coordinator. The work environment is a
combination of multi-line telephone use, insurance hub,
receptionist and scheduling coordination. This position involves
assisting with the check-in and checkout processes. Gathers and
records required information about patients and routes it
appropriately; provides specific customer services which include,
confirming health insurance coverage and individuals obligations,
obtaining necessary authorizations for care, scheduling
appointments, and assisting patients in an office or clinic
setting.This position requires out of the box thinking, strong
ability to multi-task and above all else, exceptional customer
Responsible for all front desk tasks in the office including but
not limited to the following: Greets and checks patients in and
out. Operates multi line telephone system and handles each call
according to clinic protocols. Enters information into computer.
Schedules new and established patient appointments on computerized
scheduling system. Takes accurate and detailed messages and routes
them appropriately within the clinic.
Performed majority of the time -- please start with the
responsibilities that are the most time consuming:
- Checks in patients to include gathering patient information,
entering into computer, collecting co-payments, creating new charts
and handles insurance information appropriately.
- Checks out patients to include addressing any additional
patient concerns or needs.
- Schedules patient correctly through EMR and within provider
- Answers telephone and triages calls to determine urgency;
transfers and/or leaves messages for MA/RN staff (including voice
mail) and follows-up on telephone inquiries; directs callers to
other providers, staff or departments when appropriate. Triages and
documents accurately telephone calls from patients including
requests for medication refills, complaints, general information
inquiries, and urgent health care concerns. Delivers such
information or requests promptly to the appropriate providers or
- Monitors missed appointments and handles per protocol.
- Obtains prior medical records and studies if appropriate
- Appropriately routes faxes, prescription refills, test result
requests and insurance inquires.
- Updates financial record for customers, entering all
information from patients directly into computer in a concise and
professional manner regarding patient concerns, questions and
agreements regarding their bill statements, payments and insurance
- Collects, sorts and distributes mail daily.
- Responds to correspondence as appropriate, by telephone and/or
- Maintains organized work area.
- Closes clinic by balancing cash drawer, completing deposit and
pulling next day's charts.
- Completes insurance referrals by referring patient to proper
specialist, preparing paperwork, obtaining authorization from
insurance company and handling denials and problems.
- Sends copies of chart notes to primary care physicians and
patient accounting as needed.
Performed occasionally but critical to successful performance of
- Attends monthly full staff meeting.
- Communicates supply needs in a timely manner to the ordering
- Attends insurance workshops and reads insurance updates.
- Completes all mandatory education and licensure requirements to
meet state, professional and regulatory requirements.
Decision making and budget responsibilities (e.g. impact limited
to the employee, entire unit or organization-wide):
- Impact limited to the employee.
- No budget responsibility.
Assigned direct reports (not limited to the ones listed). If not
applicable, please enter N/A:
- High school graduate or GED.
- Prior medical clinic experience.
- Experience using an EMR.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
- Current BLS certification.
Job Related Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Demonstrates proper appearance and personal conduct for the
employee's particular job.
- Uses effective communication skills taking into consideration
body language, filters, listening, paraphrasing, and questions with
customers of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrates good telephone skills and interpersonal
- Demonstrates good grammar, and spelling abilities.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrates good organization skills and ability to multitask
with frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrates ability to function independently with minimal
- Models effective working relationships with all health care
team members, patients and others.
- Demonstrates working knowledge and understanding of medical
terminology and insurance authorization processes
- Understands and applies insurance coverage pertaining to
- Demonstrates scheduling of a new and established patient.
Follows walk-in patient protocol.
- Follows computerized scheduling template protocol when
scheduling patient appointments.
- Basic computer skills including word processing. Windows
applications, on-line scheduling, and a preference for data-base
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
OHSU Health Hillsboro Medical Center, formerly Tuality
Healthcare has always been committed to our community. It's a part
of how we care for each other, and part of what makes this place
We had a humble start in 1918 when an enterprising woman named
Minnie Jones Coy started a small six-bed hospital in her Hillsboro
home. She brought together independent physicians under one roof to
treat the sick and provide a safe place for mothers to give birth.
A century after Minnie made her commitment to the people of
Hillsboro, her vision continues as we provide world-class health
care to patients.
As part of our affiliation with OHSU Health, we've changed our
name to Hillsboro Medical Center. This new moniker reflects our
expanded services and clinic locations that provide patients living
in Hillsboro and western Washington County greater access to
primary and specialty care.
Additional Posting Information
Hillsboro Medical Center believes in providing equal employment
opportunities for all qualified individuals. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions, transfers, working conditions, training, and
compensation will be based on qualifications without regard to
race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
age, creed, national origin, marital status, family relationship,
veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability,
or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law.
We further commit ourselves to continuing the practical application
of this policy in our daily business conduct.