Position Summary -
The Oncology RN provides direct and indirect evidence-based
nursing care to patients as directed by the Radiation Oncologists
within the Cancer Center. Models professional development as an
integral part of nursing practice and acts as a liaison with other
health care professionals. Applies specialized education in the
social and physical sciences in assessing, planning, ordering,
giving, delegating, and teaching nursing care which promotes
patients' optimal health and independence. Analyzes patient data
with an understanding of the cognitive, physical,
emotional/psychosocial, spiritual, and chronological maturation
Performed majority of the time:
- Enters clinical data and chief complaints accurately into
patients' medical records.
- Documents in-person and telephone patient encounters
communicating lab and diagnostic imaging results.
- Obtains and performs laboratory work and documents data in
- Cleans and prepares exam rooms for procedure(s).
- Assists the physician with sterile procedure(s).
- Starts intravenous lines for contrast or hydration. Monitors
patient during and following procedure.
- Coordinates with wound care staff for those patients needing
- Provides evidence-based care appropriate to the age of patients
served adolescent, adult and geriatric patients based on principles
of growth and development and life stages.
- Demonstrates confidentiality regarding personal health
information (PHI) of patients and staff.
- Recognizes own limitations and seeks guidance
- Prioritizes patient care appropriately, coordinating duties and
resources in an effective manner.
- Uses personal protective equipment and takes appropriate
precautions to assure personal safety.
- Attends chart rounds and staff meetings.
- Maintains and orders supplies promptly.
- Provides patient education as appropriate to situation.
Performed occasionally but critical to successful performance of
- Collaborates with Manager to improve policies and procedures
related to Nursing area.
- Works with Manager to identify shift coverage in event of
- Contributes to departmental process-improvement
- Works to assist patient with social issues (transportation,
housing). Directs patient to appropriate specialist, preparing
paperwork. When necessary, obtaining authorization from insurance
- Promotes accident prevention and enters patient safety
incidents in centralized system to maintain a safe
- Assists patients to exam rooms.
- Responds to emergency situations as directed by physician.
Decision making and budget responsibilities (e.g. impact limited
to the employee, entire unit or organization-wide):
- Impact limited to the employee
- No budget responsibility.
- Bachelor or Master of Science in Nursing. Current RN employees
as of 1/27/2020 will be grandfathered back to the previous
education requirement at their time of original hire.
- Three years of oncology nursing.
- Some experience in radiation oncology nursing.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
- Current Oregon State RN license.
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS.
Job Related Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Demonstrates an awareness of safety measures.
- Functions as a cooperative, flexible team member in a positive
manner utilizing good communication techniques.
- Uses effective working relationships with all health care team
members, patients and significant others.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills and communication
- Demonstrates organization skills
- Presents a professional image.
- Demonstrates proper grammar and spelling in written
- Typing rate of 40 WPM.
- Proficient in Epic EMR, electronic mail, spreadsheet, and word
processing computer applications.
- Bilingual skills a plus.
OHSU Health Hillsboro Medical Center, formerly Tuality
Healthcare has always been committed to our community. It's a part
of how we care for each other, and part of what makes this place
We had a humble start in 1918 when an enterprising woman named
Minnie Jones Coy started a small six-bed hospital in her Hillsboro
home. She brought together independent physicians under one roof to
treat the sick and provide a safe place for mothers to give birth.
A century after Minnie made her commitment to the people of
Hillsboro, her vision continues as we provide world-class health
care to patients.
As part of our affiliation with OHSU Health, we've changed our
name to Hillsboro Medical Center. This new moniker reflects our
expanded services and clinic locations that provide patients living
in Hillsboro and western Washington County greater access to
primary and specialty care.
Additional Posting Information
Hillsboro Medical Center believes in providing equal employment
opportunities for all qualified individuals. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions, transfers, working conditions, training, and
compensation will be based on qualifications without regard to
race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
age, creed, national origin, marital status, family relationship,
veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability,
or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law.
We further commit ourselves to continuing the practical application
of this policy in our daily business conduct.