Landscape & Foam Carving Artist
Company: LAIKA, Inc.
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Landscape & Foam Carving Artist is responsible for the
fabrication of miniature scale organic set scenery (trees, plants,
rocks, etc.) required on a stop motion animated feature film. This
position focuses on creating or replicating rockwork and
architectural features using polystyrene or polyurethane
- Fabricate, carve, and sculpt organic set scenery and
architectural elements within the stylization of the show.
- Understand, interpret and implement the creative vision of the
Production Designer and Director under the guidance of the Art
Director and Head of Department.
- Produce sample materials and work on look development to help
translate the Production Design into fabricated assets.
- Create/replicate rockwork and architectural features from
design drawings using polystyrene or polyurethane materials.
- Use and apply various surface coating techniques (aqua-resin,
foam coat, plaster, etc.) to fabricated items.
- Replicate sculpted pieces, textures, and design style across
various sets and locations.
- Safely operate standard manual/power tools (drills, saws,
- Meet Landscape building duties as required within production
schedules as set forth by the Art Department Production Manager,
while maintaining a high standard of quality.
- 3+ years' experience in film or TV production art
- Strong sculpting and fabrication skills (familiarity with
working in miniature scale, a plus).
- Strong aesthetic sense and knowledge of a variety of colors and
- Detail oriented and able to work with wide range of materials,
especially EPS (polystyrene), polyurethane sheet foam, and 2-part
polyurethane foam spray systems.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills.
- Proficient in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, a plus.
- Metal fabrication and carpentry skills, a plus.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is required to walk; stand; sit; use hands to operate
standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance;
stoop; talk or hear both in person and by telephone. The employee
must lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Vision abilities include
close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the
employee works under typical shop conditions and is exposed to
variable indoor temperatures. The noise level is usually moderate.
In certain assignments, an employee may occasionally work near
moving equipment and be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals,
airborne fumes and loud, prolonged noise (hearing protection
required when using power tools).
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required
of personnel so classified.
Please review our Employment Disclaimer and Materials Submission
Keywords: LAIKA, Inc., Hillsboro , Landscape & Foam Carving Artist, Other , Hillsboro, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!