The Registered Nurse ensures the delivery of quality nursing
care for medical/surgical patients in accordance with age-related
and individual needs, physician's orders, hospital policy,
standards of care and nursing practice. Responsible for assessing
the needs of patients, planning nursing care to meet those needs,
and ensuring that the plan of care is carried out and documented
according to the principles defined in the nursing process. Ensures
continuity of care by providing direct care as well as supervising
care given by nurses and supportive staff (when appropriate).
Participates in the development of the medical/surgical unit
Performed majority of the time -- please start with the
responsibilities that are the most time consuming:
- Caring for adolescent, adult and geriatric patients in a
knowledgeable, skillful and consistent manner.
- Utilizes the nursing process of assessment, implementation,
planning and evaluation to direct delivery of care to
- Documents assessments and data collection in an ongoing,
timely, accurate, concise and systematic manner utilizing hospital
and departmental charting formats.
- Administers medications/IV fluids safely and accurately
following hospital policy and utilizing the "5 Rights."
- Utilizes current CDC Guidelines for infection control.
- Completes consents for treatment and transfers.
- Assists in patient education/preparation for procedures as
- Checks patient charts to ensure that physician orders have been
initiated and carried out.
- Utilizes the Nursing Process appropriately initiating care
plans to address patient specific needs such as preventative skin
care measures and/or treatments as required by patient's
Performed occasionally but critical to successful performance of
- Assists physicians with various bedside procedures requiring
sterile technique as needed.
- Plans and participates in nursing in-services, conferences,
designated meetings and continuing education programs.
Decision making and budget responsibilities (e.g. impact limited
to the employee, entire unit or organization-wide):
- Impact limited to the employee.
- Bachelor or Master of Science in Nursing. Current RN employees
as of 1/27/2020 will be grandfathered back to the previous
education requirement at their time of original hire.
- Minimum one (1) year Med/Surg experience.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
- Current licensure as registered nurse by the Oregon State Board
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS.
Job Related Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Skills in use of hospital computer information/ordering
- Uses effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
- Functions well as part of a team and practices effective
- Utilizes a problem solving process to make decisions related to
patient care and unit activity.
- Personal appearance makes a good first impression.
- Uses protective equipment properly and takes appropriate
precautions to assure personal safety.
- Performs efficiently in Emergency patient situations following
- Demonstrates IV competencies within 90 days by utilizing
correct procedure for establishing and maintaining IV sites.
- Demonstrates competency when performing finger stick blood
sugar using appropriate precautions to assure personal safety.
- Utilizes the least restrictive measure that will provide for
- Follows policies for disposal of hazardous waste and
- Investigates ways to improve customer service utilizing
feedback from customers (i.e. patients, family, co-workers, other
OHSU Health Hillsboro Medical Center, formerly Tuality
Healthcare has always been committed to our community. It's a part
of how we care for each other, and part of what makes this place
We had a humble start in 1918 when an enterprising woman named
Minnie Jones Coy started a small six-bed hospital in her Hillsboro
home. She brought together independent physicians under one roof to
treat the sick and provide a safe place for mothers to give birth.
A century after Minnie made her commitment to the people of
Hillsboro, her vision continues as we provide world-class health
care to patients.
As part of our affiliation with OHSU Health, we've changed our
name to Hillsboro Medical Center. This new moniker reflects our
expanded services and clinic locations that provide patients living
in Hillsboro and western Washington County greater access to
primary and specialty care.
Additional Posting Information
Hillsboro Medical Center believes in providing equal employment
opportunities for all qualified individuals. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions, transfers, working conditions, training, and
compensation will be based on qualifications without regard to
race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
age, creed, national origin, marital status, family relationship,
veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability,
or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law.
We further commit ourselves to continuing the practical application
of this policy in our daily business conduct.