The Surgical Technologist I participates as part of the surgical
team in assisting nursing staff in support services necessary for
safe and efficient care of patients within various areas of
surgical services. This individual assists at the surgical field
passing instruments and supplies to other members of the surgical
team and maintains the sterile field. Participates in acquiring,
preparing and equipping the surgical suites. Ensures the delivery
of quality care for patients undergoing surgical procedures in
accordance with individual needs, standards of care, and hospital
policy. Assists in non-surgical patient intervention under the
direct supervision of a physician or RN. May serve as a Core
Technician, with responsibility for maintaining sterile technique
and providing supplies and instruments as requested. Added job
functions may include being responsible for inventory, effective
physician relationships, birth certificate processing or other
Performed majority of the time -- please start with the
responsibilities that are the most time consuming:
- Performs scrub duties for all specialties that may require
- Protects equipment from damage/misuse; reports damage/misuse
and or malfunction to appropriate personnel.
- Develops and maintains two-way communications with physicians,
staff and management.
Performed occasionally but critical to successful performance of
- Informs appropriate person to make changes on preference cards
when requested by physician.
- Participates in new supply/equipment evaluation and
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, in-services and
continuing education opportunities.
- Participates in vendor monitoring and management in accordance
with department/hospital procedures/protocols.
Decision making and budget responsibilities (e.g. impact limited
to the employee, entire unit or organization-wide):
- Impact limited to the employee.
- No budget responsibility.
- Completion of surgical tech school or provide documentation of
employment as a surgical technologist in a health care facility for
one (1) year.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS required
within 90 days of hire.
Job Related Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Demonstrates knowledge of rules/regulations established by
governmental and regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrates proper appearance and personal conduct for the
- Uses effective communication skills taking into consideration
body language, filters, listening, paraphrasing, and questions with
customers of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrates technical proficiency with equipment and
instrumentation used for surgical procedures.
- Follows correct procedures in unusual and emergent
- Displays knowledge of specialty procedures and
- Effectively manages the utilization of supplies.
- Adjusts promptly and calmly to changes in the work environment;
performs well in emergency situations.
- Demonstrates principles of aseptic technique in daily
- Membership in appropriate professional organization.
OHSU Health Hillsboro Medical Center, formerly Tuality
Healthcare has always been committed to our community. It's a part
of how we care for each other, and part of what makes this place
We had a humble start in 1918 when an enterprising woman named
Minnie Jones Coy started a small six-bed hospital in her Hillsboro
home. She brought together independent physicians under one roof to
treat the sick and provide a safe place for mothers to give birth.
A century after Minnie made her commitment to the people of
Hillsboro, her vision continues as we provide world-class health
care to patients.
As part of our affiliation with OHSU Health, we've changed our
name to Hillsboro Medical Center. This new moniker reflects our
expanded services and clinic locations that provide patients living
in Hillsboro and western Washington County greater access to
primary and specialty care.
Additional Posting Information
Hillsboro Medical Center believes in providing equal employment
opportunities for all qualified individuals. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions, transfers, working conditions, training, and
compensation will be based on qualifications without regard to
race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
age, creed, national origin, marital status, family relationship,
veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability,
or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law.
We further commit ourselves to continuing the practical application
of this policy in our daily business conduct.