The Surgical Technologist II participates as part of the
surgical team in assisting nursing staff in support services
necessary for safe and efficient care of patients within various
areas of surgical services. Assists at the surgical field passing
instruments and supplies to other members of the surgical team and
maintains the sterile field. Participates in acquiring, preparing
and equipping the surgical suites. Ensures the delivery of quality
care for patients undergoing surgical procedures in accordance with
individual needs, standards of care, and hospital policy. Assists
in non-surgical patient intervention under the direct supervision
of a physician or RN. May serve as a Core Technician, with
responsibility for maintaining sterile technique and providing
supplies and instruments as requested. Added job functions may
include being responsible for staff education, inventory, vendor
management and effective physician relationships. Displays
comprehensive knowledge and strong technical skills in a wide
variety of specialty areas, and serves as a resource for
peers/co-workers. This individual demonstrates a high degree of
self-reliance and resourcefulness, is quick to identify and solve
problems, and willingly adopts additional responsibilities and
challenges. Precepts and trains new scrub technologist and student
Performed majority of the time -- please start with the
responsibilities that are the most time consuming:
- Performs scrub duties for all specialties that may require
- Attends, plans, and participates in staff meetings, in-services
and continuing education opportunities.
- Provides care appropriate to the age of patients served
(neonate, infant, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric)
patients based on principles of growth and development and life
- Streamlines and standardizes supplies/equipment as appropriate
to meet patient/physicians needs and maximize cost containment
- Acts as a resource person and role model for other staff
Performed occasionally but critical to successful performance of
- Participates in new supply/equipment evaluation and
- Assists in the communications of backorder information.
- Participates in vendor monitoring and management in accordance
with department/hospital procedures/protocols.
Decision making and budget responsibilities (e.g. impact limited
to the employee, entire unit or organization-wide):
- Impact limited to the employee.
- No budget responsibility.
- Graduate of an accredited School of Surgical Technology; or has
completed a training program for surgical technologists in the
Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard of the United
States or in the United States Public Health Service Commissioned
Corps; and can show documentation of completing 16 hours of
- Minimum one (1) year of work experience in an operating room in
a hospital or an ambulatory surgical center.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
- Must hold and maintain one (1) of the following:
o National Surgical Technologist Certification by the National
Board of Surgical Technologists and Surgical Assistants (NBSTSA)
o National Center Competency Testing (NCCT) Certification.
o Certificate of training via the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine
Corps or Coast Guard of the United States or in the United States
Public Health Service Commissioned Corps; and can show
documentation of completing 16 hours of continuing education. Above
listed National Certifications would still be preferred and
required within 6 months of hire.
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS preferred
upon hire and required within 90 days of hire.
- Membership in appropriate professional organization.
Job Related Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Knowledge of sterile core area.
- Knowledge of sterile technique; operating room procedures and
- Ability to understand and apply principles of sterile technique
and surgical procedures within the scope of the position.
- Demonstrates proper appearance and personal conduct for the
employee's particular job.
- Uses effective communication skills taking into consideration
body language, filters, listening, paraphrasing, and questions with
customers of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrates knowledge of rules/regulations established by
governmental and regulatory agencies.
- Practices effective communication skills and interpersonal
skills, written, verbal, and non-verbal.
- Utilizes a problem solving process to make decisions related to
patient care and unit activity.
- Develops skills in use of hospital computerized
- Must be able to clearly speak, write and communicate in the
- Demonstrates technical proficiency with equipment and
instrumentation used for surgical procedures.
- Follows correct procedures in unusual and emergent
- Effectively manages the utilization of supplies.
- Demonstrates principles of aseptic technique in daily
- Displays knowledge of specialty procedures and
- Adjusts promptly and calmly to changes in the work environment;
performs well in emergency situations.
OHSU Health Hillsboro Medical Center, formerly Tuality
Healthcare has always been committed to our community. It's a part
of how we care for each other, and part of what makes this place
We had a humble start in 1918 when an enterprising woman named
Minnie Jones Coy started a small six-bed hospital in her Hillsboro
home. She brought together independent physicians under one roof to
treat the sick and provide a safe place for mothers to give birth.
A century after Minnie made her commitment to the people of
Hillsboro, her vision continues as we provide world-class health
care to patients.
As part of our affiliation with OHSU Health, we've changed our
name to Hillsboro Medical Center. This new moniker reflects our
expanded services and clinic locations that provide patients living
in Hillsboro and western Washington County greater access to
primary and specialty care.
Additional Posting Information
Hillsboro Medical Center believes in providing equal employment
opportunities for all qualified individuals. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions, transfers, working conditions, training, and
compensation will be based on qualifications without regard to
race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
age, creed, national origin, marital status, family relationship,
veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability,
or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law.
We further commit ourselves to continuing the practical application
of this policy in our daily business conduct.