Wellness Assistant Manager
Company: New Leaf Community Markets, Inc.
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Position Title: Wellness Assistant Manager
Supervisory Responsibility: Collaborates with department manager
to supervise all department staff.
Reports To: Wellness Manager
Region: Oregon/SW Washington
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Position Description: Partners with Wellness Manager to manage
department and staff, including financial stewardship, customer
service, department conditions, merchandising, food safety, work
safety, communication, hiring, training and performance management.
Ensures the department provides an exceptional customer shopping
experience, with the highest level of service and product
knowledge. Provides leadership in line with company values and
promotes a positive and progressive work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Creates a positive and supportive work environment.
- Promotes a collaborative team environment through recognition,
leading by example and working alongside staff. Demonstrates
approachability and fosters open communication. Creates an
environment where staff are invested and encouraged to contribute
ideas. Demonstrates a pro-active approach in resolving staff issues
- Partners with department manager to build and sustain a high
performing team. Contributes to the development of team members
including interviewing and hiring, training and development and
- Seeks opportunities to train and develop staff members to take
on increased responsibilities. Demonstrates ability to adapt
approach to different learning styles among staff.
- Builds trust and respect through dependability, organization
and follow through.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in
problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Bases decisions on analysis, experience, resources and
circumstances. Prioritizes and acts decisively under pressure.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for
professional growth. Seeks and responds positively to
- Partners with department manager to establish and maintain
effective verbal and written communication systems.
- Partners with department manager to ensure effective scheduling
and labor allocation to meet business needs and labor budget.
- Partners with department manager to prepare and deliver
corrective actions and performance reviews in a timely manner.
Follows documentation and compensation guidelines.
- Communicates in a professional and constructive manner.
Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications
in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates an understanding of basic Human Resources
concepts; works with resources at store level to increase
- Acts as a steward of company resources and
Vision/Mission/Values by training, modeling and promoting
- Balances administrative tasks with presence on floor.
Position Specific Functions
- Partners with department manager to manage and provide
oversight to all areas of the department. Assesses, prioritizes and
delegates tasks and production.
- Ensures consistency of department conditions. Ensures all areas
of department are stocked, rotated, faced and adhere to
merchandising standards and category schematics.
- Partners with department manager to ensure satisfactory
in-stock conditions in department. Maintains appropriate inventory
levels to achieve sales and margin goals.
- Orders Wellness products according to anticipated sales and
seasonal needs. Trains staff to write orders and production
schedules consistent with department goals and standards to ensure
the highest level of product availability.
- Builds displays and arranges department products to make
attractive presentations, highlighting featured/unique/seasonal
- Assists customers with product selection. Shares product
knowledge with customers. Makes recommendations and suggestions
based on customer needs in compliance with DSHEA guidelines. Use
appropriate reference materials to assist customers.
- Partners with department manager to plan for weekly ads, events
and holidays using tools and reports.
- Maintains professional vendor relationships.
- Ensures customer special orders are accurately placed and
- Receives and unloads merchandise; checks quality, count and
condition. Communicates any issues to management and merchandising
- Stocks and rotates products with attention to product quality
and expiration dates.
- Maintains the organization, rotation and cleanliness of back
- Partners with department manager to plan, lead and analyze
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts
priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and
conditions of department and store.
- Observes all rules and policies as listed in the New Seasons
Market Staff Handbook and Operations Manual.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Customer Service and Merchandising
- Maintains excellent department conditions, including
appearance, cleanliness, signage, staffing and service levels.
Models friendly and attentive customer service, coaches staff,
recognizes accomplishments and identifies areas of
- Handles escalated difficult customer service situations and
seeks solutions to delight the customer. Trains and coaches staff
to do the same.
- Reads and understands merchandising information. Partners with
department manager to develop and execute merchandising plans to
promote peak seasonal/ad item/holiday products, drive sales and
create an optimal customer shopping experience.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of products in the department
and understanding of nutrition, health conditions, food
sensitivities, specialized diets, wellness terminology and product
- Shares product knowledge with customers and staff. Makes
recommendations and suggestions based on customer needs. Partners
with department manager to establish consistent program for
communicating product information and knowledge to staff.
- Demonstrates an awareness of trends in the industry.
- Demonstrates a solid understanding of labor, sales and margin
goals and factors that influence them. Partners with department
manager to meet labor and margin goals.
- Ensures that department adheres to company invoice, credit,
transfers and inventory procedures.
- Coaches department to maintain appropriate, accurate and
organized inventory and back stock. Handles damaged and spoiled
product according to company policy.
- Demonstrates creativity in merchandising and utilization of
products in order to increase sales and minimize waste.
- Leverages resources and labor to maximize efficiency, without
compromising quality and service standards.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Participates actively in the maintenance and enrichment of a
workplace safety culture.
- Understands and enforces New Seasons Market work safety
policies and guidelines set forth by OSHA and other regulatory
- Identifies and addresses factors that contribute to the
functionality of store and department equipment.
- Promotes the highest level of department cleanliness. Ensures
general housekeeping and janitorial tasks are scheduled and
conducted on a regular basis and ensures sanitation standards
established by store policy and state and local health departments
- Understands and enforces New Seasons Market food safety
- Demonstrates proficiency with emergency procedures, safety
equipment and MSDS.
- Frequent handwashing is required.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and
equipment: box knife, baler, scanner, pallet jack, ladder, step
stool, cart, hand truck, price gun, computer, and office
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA
Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we
will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and
employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in
food and cooking.
- Previous retail management experience required. Grocery
- Demonstrated passion for health and nutrition and product
knowledge required, including wellness terminology and product
- Previous ordering/inventory management experience
- Ability to uphold DSHEA guidelines.
- Basic to intermediate math and computation skills
- Intermediate to advanced computer proficiency required.
Experience with Excel and inventory software preferred.
- Skills to manage financial results, including labor and profit
- Skills to plan, prioritize and delegate work.
- Skills to train, coach and hold staff accountable.
- Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and
multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a
- Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
- Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and
professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers,
supervisors and customers.
- Skills to manage difficult customer interactions required.
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs
of the department.
- Ability to reliably meet required work schedule and adhere to
company attendance policy.
- Medium work level
- Continuously required to be on feet with a mix of standing and
walking throughout shift. Sitting occasionally required.
- Continuously required to lift and carry 1-10 pounds; use arms,
wrist and hands; grasping/squeezing
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 11-20 pounds; push
and/or pull 1-20 pounds; twist; reach at/above shoulder; reach
- Occasionally required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds;
bend/stoop; crouch/squat; kneel; climb step stools
- Frequency of climbing stairs and ladders dependent on
- Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes
surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and
temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and
other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house
plants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common
commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements
and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed
in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff
member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on
location. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job
description at any time and to require staff members to perform
other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.
Keywords: New Leaf Community Markets, Inc., Hillsboro , Wellness Assistant Manager, Other , Hillsboro, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!