The Manager for Pharmacy oversees and develops pharmacist and
pharmacy technician workflow, training, and daily responsibilities.
Responsible for initiating, updating and implementing various
policies and procedures in collaboration with Pharmacy Director.
Works as a staff pharmacist when needed. Assumes tasks necessary to
convey daily Pharmacy and IV admixture products and clinical
monitoring service to the patients. Completes performance reviews
for the pharmacy technicians and assist with completing the
pharmacist annual performance reviews. Reports to the Pharmacy
Performed majority of the time:
- Maintain and oversee the pharmacist and pharmacy technician
- Ability to resolve day to day pharmacist and technician
workflow issues and offer suggestions for process
- Mentors pharmacy staff and provides training and resources for
- Provides clinical drug information to physicians and
- Ensures regulatory compliance, e.g. USP 797, USP 800, Oregon
Board of Pharmacy, etc.
- Maintains accuracy of perpetual inventory for all controlled
- Maintains patient profiles via computer.
- Dispenses medication accurately to inpatients in a timely
- Fills prescriptions for discharge and emergency patients.
- Participates in compounding of extemporaneous preparation of
- Prepares sterile medications (including chemotherapy) safely
and accurately in laminar flow hoods.
- Checks technician work carefully and accurately.
- Follows hospital medication formulary.
- Orders from wholesaler via computer system.
- Works as a staff pharmacist when needed. Assumes tasks
necessary to convey daily Pharmacy and IV admixture products and
clinical monitoring service to the patients.
- Screens medication orders for appropriateness.
- Participates in hospital educational programs.
- Manages time for orderly completion of additional duties.
- Maintains adequate supply of pharmaceuticals and related
- Maintains knowledge of department dosing/monitoring
- Participates in Medication Utilization Evaluations (MUE) and
Quality Improvement (QI) programs.
- Performs critical dosing calculations for all patients of all
age groups (neonate, infant, pediatric, adult, geriatric).
- Tracks clinical consults via computer.
- Participates in Medication Safety Team.
- Supports and assists with P & T monograph development and
development of clinical guidelines and pathways.
- Supervises support personnel-directs, educates, and checks
technicians work when required.
- Provides suggestions and opinions relating to the pharmacy
- Consistently utilizes problem-solving techniques to resolve
complaints or concerns in and out of the pharmacy department.
- Provides regular and consistent performance feedback and
coaching to staff
Performed occasionally but critical to successful performance of
- Develops workflows that are compliant with pharmacy
- Participates in disciplinary action when necessary
- Participates in the selection and hiring of pharmacy
- Conducts and actively participates in pharmacy technicians
annual and 90 day PDS's in a timely manner
- Assists in the development and updating of departmental
policies and procedures
- Performs additional duties in the absence of the Pharmacy
Decision making and budget responsibilities:
- Decision making is influencing the department.
- Budget planning for their areas of responsibility.
Assigned direct reports (not limited to the ones listed). If not
applicable, please enter N/A:
- Pharmacist, Pharmacy Tech,
- Licensed as a Registered Pharmacist in the State of
- Minimum three (3) years working as a pharmacist in a hospital
pharmacy including IV admixture and/or home. One year in a
certified hospital residency qualifies as three years of
- Minimum five (5) years preferred working as a pharmacist in a
hospital pharmacy including IV admixture and/or home.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
- Registered Pharmacist in the State of Oregon.
- ACLS required within 90-days of hire.
Job Related Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Demonstrates effective leadership skills
- Functions as a cooperative, flexible team member in a positive
- Demonstrates knowledge of Automatic Dispensing Cabinet
- Demonstrates knowledge of the Electronic Medical Record
- Demonstrates knowledge of sterile technique.
- Demonstrates awareness of safety measures.
- Manages multiple demands in a fast-paced pharmacy in an
accurate, efficient, calm and pleasant manner
- Manages multiple projects, priorities, deadlines and
- Utilizes effective leadership and conflict resolution
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent phone skills and organizational skills.
- Reads, writes and speaks conversational English
- PC and pharmacy computer skills desired and must be proficient
- Presents a personal appearance, interpersonal skills, and
personal conduct that make a professional first impression
appropriate for the employee's particular job.
OHSU Health Hillsboro Medical Center, formerly Tuality
Healthcare has always been committed to our community. It's a part
of how we care for each other, and part of what makes this place
We had a humble start in 1918 when an enterprising woman named
Minnie Jones Coy started a small six-bed hospital in her Hillsboro
home. She brought together independent physicians under one roof to
treat the sick and provide a safe place for mothers to give birth.
A century after Minnie made her commitment to the people of
Hillsboro, her vision continues as we provide world-class health
care to patients.
As part of our affiliation with OHSU Health, we've changed our
name to Hillsboro Medical Center. This new moniker reflects our
expanded services and clinic locations that provide patients living
in Hillsboro and western Washington County greater access to
primary and specialty care.
Additional Posting Information
Hillsboro Medical Center believes in providing equal employment
opportunities for all qualified individuals. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions, transfers, working conditions, training, and
compensation will be based on qualifications without regard to
race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
age, creed, national origin, marital status, family relationship,
veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability,
or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law.
We further commit ourselves to continuing the practical application
of this policy in our daily business conduct.