Functions as the Nurse Leader for a nursing unit. Provides
leadership and direction in accordance with the organizational
philosophy and objectives. Assumes shift responsibility and
accountability for all patient care activities, unit operation, and
staff function. Ensures continuity of care on the unit by providing
direct care as well as supervising the care given by nurses and
supportive staff. Fosters highly skilled professional practice and
develops high functioning interdisciplinary teams. Participates in
committees/teams as assigned. Provides timely, effective feedback
to staff and actively contributes to the performance evaluation
process in conjunction with the nurse manager or director.
Functions in direct patient care 80% of time, education functions,
unit projects as assigned, and relief administrative supervisor.
Hold staff accountable during their shift to ensure quality metrics
are achieved for the department. Practices in adherence with the
Oregon Board of Nursing (OSBN) nurse practice act and the American
Nurses Association's (ANA) Nursing Administration: Scope and
Standards of Practice for Nurse Administrators and the ANA Code of
Performed majority of the time:
- Assists in patient education/preparation for procedures as
- Assists the team with various activities to support daily
- Transcribes/checks patient charts to ensure that physician
orders have been carried out.
- Determines daily staffing assignments based on available staff
and patient needs in compliance with Oregon Nurse Practice
- Ensures nurse staffing plan for the unit is followed for their
- Completes staff scheduling according to staffing plans to
assure adequate availability of staff for patient care (day shift
CMs for day shift schedules only).
- Ensures onboarding of new staff is consistent and complete and
- Coordinates nursing activities with other units and departments
to provide optimal care to patients.
- Ensures compliance with shift productivity tool is completed
and staffing targets are met.
- Leads shift huddle utilizing the organization's preferred
- Accurately completes consents for treatment and transfers.
- Maintains vigilance in assessing team and individual wellbeing
through consistent leader rounding.
- Coordinates daily activities efficiently to achieve desired
results and communicates with professionalism and
Performed occasionally but critical to successful performance of
- Plans and participates in nursing in-services, conferences and
- Participates in recruitment, interviewing, selection, and
orientation of staff.
- Participates in continuing education.
Decision making and budget responsibilities (e.g. impact limited
to the employee, entire unit or organization-wide):
- Decisions can impact the unit and the patient wellbeing.
- Provides input into the development of department budgets.
Assigned direct reports (not limited to the ones listed). If not
applicable, please enter N/A:
- Bachelor or Master of Science in Nursing.
- Bachelor or Master of Science in Nursing required within two
(2) years of transfer date into Nurse Leader position.
For all areas:
- Minimum two (2) years of nursing experience.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
For all areas:
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS.
Women's & Children's Center:
o S.T.A.B.L.E. certification preferred upon hire, required in
six (6) months of hire.
o AWHONN Fetal Monitoring Intermediate, C-EFM, or documentation
of equivalent CNE's within six (6) months of hire and to be tracked
by the department.
For all areas:
- Certification in field of specialty/discipline (refer to policy
N-12U) or Nursing Leadership preferred within one (1) year of
Job Related Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Experience with quality improvement; developing initiatives,
monitoring clinical care
- Demonstrates effective written, communication and interpersonal
skills - body language, filters, listening, paraphrasing and
questions, and applies them to change management, team building,
and facilitation of team effectiveness.
- Possesses knowledge of current concepts of nursing and medical
practices, and skills necessary in providing appropriate care for
patients unique needs based upon age, culture, ethnicity and belief
- Exhibits effective conflict resolution skills and strong
collaborative skills in daily interactions and
- Demonstrates ability to use a personal computer
- Must be able to function effectively and professionally in high
stress and critical situations.
- Uses computer skills in communicating and analyzing data.
- Demonstrates competency when performing finger stick blood
- Follows the procedures for use of personal protective
equipment, infection control, disposal of hazardous waste and
- Utilizes the nursing process of assessment, implementation,
planning and evaluation to direct delivery of care to
- Performs efficiently in emergency patient situations following
established policies and procedures.
- Provides leadership and direction to the nursing staff, acts as
- Consistently and effectively counsels employees, initiates
disciplinary action, communicates action to the manager and
participates as needed in follow-up activities while focusing on
the situation, issue or behavior, not the person.
OHSU Health Hillsboro Medical Center, formerly Tuality
Healthcare has always been committed to our community. It's a part
of how we care for each other, and part of what makes this place
We had a humble start in 1918 when an enterprising woman named
Minnie Jones Coy started a small six-bed hospital in her Hillsboro
home. She brought together independent physicians under one roof to
treat the sick and provide a safe place for mothers to give birth.
A century after Minnie made her commitment to the people of
Hillsboro, her vision continues as we provide world-class health
care to patients.
As part of our affiliation with OHSU Health, we've changed our
name to Hillsboro Medical Center. This new moniker reflects our
expanded services and clinic locations that provide patients living
in Hillsboro and western Washington County greater access to
primary and specialty care.
Additional Posting Information
Hillsboro Medical Center believes in providing equal employment
opportunities for all qualified individuals. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions, transfers, working conditions, training, and
compensation will be based on qualifications without regard to
race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
age, creed, national origin, marital status, family relationship,
veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability,
or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law.
We further commit ourselves to continuing the practical application
of this policy in our daily business conduct.