Delivers quality nursing care to patients requiring emergency
treatment in accordance with age-related and individual needs,
physician orders, hospital policy, and standard nursing practice.
Responsible for assessing the needs of patients, planning nursing
care to meet those needs, and ensuring that the plan of care is
carried out, evaluated and documented according to the principles
defined in the nursing process.
Performed majority of the time -- please start with the
responsibilities that are the most time consuming:
- Performs and documents patient assessments and intervention in
a timely, accurate, and concise manner, utilizing hospital and
departmental charting formats.
- Administers medications via all routes safely and accurately
according to procedure.
- Assists physician with emergency treatments, following
departmental policies and procedures.
- Prioritizes patient care based on essential patient needs, and
knowledge of emergency nursing practice while utilizing available
unit resources to optimize department flow.
- Accurately completes consents for treatments and
- Performs triage for Emergency Department patients according to
established policies and procedures.
- Communicates patient needs and changes in condition to
physician, team members and/or family as necessary.
Performed occasionally but critical to successful performance of
- Attends and participates in departmental staff meetings,
- Demonstrates self-directed learning and participation in
Decision making and budget responsibilities (e.g. impact limited
to the employee, entire unit or organization-wide):
- Impact limited to the employee.
- Bachelor or Master of Science in Nursing. Current RN employees
as of 1/27/2020 will be grandfathered back to the previous
education requirement at their time of original hire.
- To ensure appropriate skill mix, one (1) year of Emergency
Department experience or senior practicum in Emergency Services may
be required for this position.
- Minimum of one (1) year Emergency Department nursing experience
required for candidates who may be utilized in a Charge Nurse
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
- Current Licensure as registered nurse by the Oregon State Board
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS.
- ACLS preferred upon hire and required within 90 days of
- PALS or ENPC required within 90 days of hire.
Job Related Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- Must have demonstrated skills in caring for the neonate,
infant, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Functions well as part of a team.
- Uses a problem solving process to make decisions related to
patient care and department activity maintaining a positive work
- Responds appropriately in an emergency situation.
- Uses effective communication skills to work with patients,
families and co-workers maintaining confidentiality.
- Uses emergency equipment properly based on departmental
procedures and/or manufacturer's recommendations incorporating
principles of safety.
- Performs emergency nursing skills (as listed on orientation
checklist) according to departmental nursing procedures.
- Implements skills of advanced cardiac life support in code blue
- Respects and advocates for patient's/significant other's
OHSU Health Hillsboro Medical Center, formerly Tuality
Healthcare has always been committed to our community. It's a part
of how we care for each other, and part of what makes this place
We had a humble start in 1918 when an enterprising woman named
Minnie Jones Coy started a small six-bed hospital in her Hillsboro
home. She brought together independent physicians under one roof to
treat the sick and provide a safe place for mothers to give birth.
A century after Minnie made her commitment to the people of
Hillsboro, her vision continues as we provide world-class health
care to patients.
As part of our affiliation with OHSU Health, we've changed our
name to Hillsboro Medical Center. This new moniker reflects our
expanded services and clinic locations that provide patients living
in Hillsboro and western Washington County greater access to
primary and specialty care.
Additional Posting Information
Hillsboro Medical Center believes in providing equal employment
opportunities for all qualified individuals. Recruitment, hiring,
promotions, transfers, working conditions, training, and
compensation will be based on qualifications without regard to
race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion,
age, creed, national origin, marital status, family relationship,
veteran status, genetic information, physical or mental disability,
or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law.
We further commit ourselves to continuing the practical application
of this policy in our daily business conduct.