Lead Software Engineer, Digital Fab Hillsboro, OR
Posted on: September 18, 2023
The Lead Software Engineer, Digital Fabrication plays a key role in
designing, implementing and maintaining core systems within the
digital asset management infrastructure and fabrication
technologies at LAIKA. As part of the team dedicated to digital
fabrication, this role will concentrate on crucial areas such as
digital design and visualization for puppet and set construction,
CAD integration, digital asset archive, DCC pipeline plugin
development, and maintaining tooling and data consistency for
assets across all departments within the Studio.Job Functions
- Lead the technical implementation of the digital asset pipeline
connecting production design, set and puppet fabrication, rapid
prototyping, camera, stage and VFX workflows.
- Develop new visualization, digital prototyping and virtual
production systems for traditional craft-based builders and makers
in a stop motion animation studio.
- Work both independently and cooperatively with Sr Engineers and
Technical Directors (TDs) to extend existing tools, develop new
features and architect new applications.
- Initiate research and development, implement 3rd party
solutions when available, and design and build prototypes in
collaboration with other technology teams for next generation
- Follow the processes and procedures of the software development
life cycle, build and release system, documentation and testing
standards used at LAIKA.
- Collaborate on the design and development of foundational
systems used across the digital pipeline including developer-facing
APIs and services, as well as user-facing UIs for asset, farm,
process, disk and configuration management.
- Work with other engineers, artists and leadership to ensure
consistency and scalability of tools and APIs across the
- Develop plugins for DCC tools used in the studio (e.g.,
Vectorworks, Maya, Houdini, Inventor, Rhino, Unreal Engine).
- Drive pipeline priorities in conjunction with technology
- Mentor other TDs in digital pipeline development.Qualifications
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer on large scale
productions in the VFX, feature animation or games industries.
- Expert level ability in Python, including the standard library,
the Qt Toolkit (PySide, PyQt), and common 3rd party libraries and
- Experience with at least one other language beyond Python, such
as C++, Rust or Go required.
- Experience with multi-platform development
- Experience with common industry platforms including USD, Maya,
- Experience with game engine development (e.g.
Unity/Unreal/Godot) a plus.
- Experience with CAD/CAM software (e.g., Inventor, Fusion 360,
Solidworks) a plus.Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described
here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is required to walk; stand; sit; use hands to operate
standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance;
stoop; talk or hear both in person and by telephone. The employee
must lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Vision abilities include
close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the
employee works under typical office conditions and is exposed to
variable indoor temperatures. The noise level is usually quiet or
On-site in Hillsboro, OR / and also eligible for hybrid
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.Disclaimer
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required
of personnel so classified. Resume/CV * (pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf
files only) Cover Letter (pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf files only)
International Application*Will you require a Visa/Sponsorship to
work in the United States?By Selecting "YES", you are agreeing to
our Employment Disclaimer and Materials Submission Agreement,
included in the above job description.
Keywords: Paranorman, Hillsboro , Lead Software Engineer, Digital Fab Hillsboro, OR, IT / Software / Systems , Hillsboro, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!