Fabrication Technology Manager
Posted on: January 22, 2023
General SummaryThe Fabrication Technology Manager is responsible
for the high-level development of LAIKA's digital design systems
for fabrication departments and the integration of those systems
with the Studio's other digital pipelines. This position manages a
team of Technical Directors specializing in physical fabrication
workflows to build tools for puppet, set, prop and precision parts
manufacturing processes. This position will work directly with
Production and other Technology Managers to develop innovative
technologies for visualization, collaboration and the large-scale
fabrication of LAIKA's hybrid stop motion and CG worlds.
- Lead the design and development of new pipeline initiatives
that remove technical barriers for Designers and allow digital
assets to flow between design, fabrication, stage and VFX
- Plan and execute large-scale software engineering projects that
affect multiple departments and improve our production technology
- Work with other Technology Managers to utilize and maintain
established standards for digital asset creation, revision control,
review, approval and delivery to Fabricators and VFX teams.
- Research emerging technologies and drive innovation in our
fabrication technology that improves collaboration, efficiency, and
production at scale.
- Work with Studio Leadership, Technical Directors, Lead Artists
and Designers and technology partners to develop a long-term
strategy for our fabrication technology.
- Develop scanning and CG Modeling capabilities in fabrication
departments, and establish a workflow for creating a digital
archive of hero environments and legacy characters.
- Build and maintain a strong team of Technical Directors through
regular performance feedback, setting goals and supporting learning
- Work with the team to establish and maintain coding standards
and platform consistency.
- Collaborate with Core Technology Engineers to improve systems
and infrastructure for Fabrication TDs.
- 10+ years' experience in software engineering, R&D or
technical design in a feature film, games, or industrial
- 5+ years' experience in a technical supervisory or management
- Advanced experience asset development for film or games.
- Advanced experience with the application of real-time rendering
systems in film production or games.
- Knowledge of industrial design and manufacturing systems,
experience with CAD/CAM, 3D printing, and mechanical
- Experience with Agile development, Kanban, Scrum and related
- Experience with physical production in film or theater
- Experience with AR/VR development, preferred.
Physical Demands and Work EnvironmentThe physical demands and work
environment characteristics described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is required to walk; stand; sit; use hands to operate
standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance;
stoop; talk or hear both in person and by telephone. The employee
must lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Vision abilities include
close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the
employee works under typical office conditions and is exposed to
variable indoor temperatures. The noise level is usually quiet or
LocationOn-site in Hillsboro, OR (and hybrid eligible).
SalarySalary is commensurate with skills and experience.
DisclaimerThe above statements are intended to describe the general
nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required
of personnel so classified.
Please review our EMPLOYMENT DISCLAIMER and MATERIALS SUBMISSION
Keywords: LAIKA, Hillsboro , Fabrication Technology Manager, IT / Software / Systems , Hillsboro, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!