SHIFT SUPERVISOR, HOSPITAL ADMIN
Posted on: March 12, 2023
Job Summary: Supervises nursing and hospital operations on
assigned shift. Coordinates patient bed placement activities for
admissions and internal and external transfers to match patient
care need with appropriate nursing unit. Supervises staff placement
to meet short term clinical staffing needs. Responsible for
activities to maximize patient flow to provide seamless admissions,
transfers, and discharges to minimize diversions, delays, or
denials of patients. Functions as on-site administrative
representative in the absence of regular hospital administration.
Supports the mission of the organization.Essential
- Directs/manages hospital operations on assigned shift to ensure
that appropriate patient care is provided and patient/family needs
- Rounds on all patient units to identify patient placement
needs, available beds with assigned staff and staff capacity to
safely take additional admissions, at least once every three (3) to
four (4) hours. Communicates at Huddles and directly with Charge
Nurse to: Review current patients. Identify pending/potential
discharges. Determine capacity for and time frame for admissions.
Discuss any anticipated internal transfers in department to
facilitate patient care needs or room for admission. Support
regional utilization strategy.
- Works with Unit Managers and their designee, Regional
Telephonic Medical Center (RTMC), Surgical Services, the Emergency
Department, Bed Control Coordinator, Care Coordinators, outside
facilities, Physicians, Urgent Care, and KP Clinics, to assure
appropriate prioritization and placement of patients.
- Coordinates with Unit Managers and their designee and Staffing
Specialists to ensure appropriate staff is provided on each shift
to meet patient needs and maintain cost effectiveness. Collaborates
with managers/directors to initiate additional resources for
planned or unplanned events. Initiates Escalation Process when
- Completes Administrative Report at designated frequencies.
- Ensures compliance with organizational policy and procedures
and with regulatory requirements.
- Coordinates the AOC the ED Charge RN and ED Physician request
for decision to divert ambulances if Emergency Department has
exhausted all resources to create capacity to manage additional
- Anticipates potential problems and intervenes to minimize
adverse impact; manages conflicts that arise.
- Assists with decedent affairs including organ/tissue
- Acts as a clinical resource for nursing including
interpretation of policies and procedures and assisting with
clinical practice issues. Supports performance improvement
- Assists departmental staff in responding to and resolving
patient/family questions, concerns or complaints when management
team not available.
- Assists with the on-the-job injury management program.
- Appropriately communicates and documents administrative,
departmental, risk management and member issues to ensure timely
follow up and response.
- Coordinates with Engineering regarding equipment malfunctions,
safety issues and repair needs, and ongoing patient room
- Initiates Disaster Procedures as necessary and functions as
incident commander until relieved.
- In absence of Hospital Department Managers, addresses and
communicates employee issues that arise after hours. Communicates
issue and problem resolution actions to department manager.Basic
- Minimum one (1) year of leadership experience in health care
- Minimum three (3) years of acute care nursing
- BSN or health-related bachelors degree OR currently enrolled in
BSN or health-related bachelors degree program with completion date
within three (3) years OR an Associates degree plus three (3) years
of experience in a directly related field.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED)
required.License, Certification, Registration
- Registered Nurse License (in the state where care is provided)
- Basic Life Support--Additional Requirements:
- Effective communication skills.
- Financial/economic principles.--Preferred Qualifications:
- Minimum seven (7) years of combined acute care clinical
experience as RN.
- Minimum three (3) years of previous healthcare or manager
- Nurse Practice Act, JCAHO, Labor Law, all related and affiliate
contracts, Workmens Comp, Kaiser policies and procedures,
Medicare/Medicaid, Health Department, Employee Benefits, Human
Resource policies and procedures, O.S.H.A., National Labor
Relations Board, Standards of Practice of Professional
Organizations.#RNMGR--Job Schedule: Job Category: Nursing Licensed
& Nurse Practitioners, RN Manager
Keywords: Kaiser, Hillsboro , SHIFT SUPERVISOR, HOSPITAL ADMIN, Hospitality & Tourism , Hillsboro, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...