Chemical Process Engineering Department Manager
Posted on: November 19, 2022
Chemical Process Engineering Department Manager
Why This Job is Important
SSOE works with the world's leading high-tech producers to power
technology at our fingertips-from smart phones to smart cars-and
meet the ongoing global chip demand. We're looking for a Chemical
Process Engineering Department Manager to manage a driven group of
25 chemical process designers / engineers in our Portland, Oregon
and Austin, Texas locations. This growing team of problem solvers
delivers engineering programming and design for greenfield and
brownfield manufacturing projects, retrofits, and high-tech process
integration for semiconductor and other high-tech clients. We
strive to deliver unrivaled technical services that improves our
clients' productivity. This client-facing role is an exciting
opportunity that requires someone with the ability to inspire
confidence from proposal through project execution.
Named a Top 5 Semiconductor Design Firm for the past nine years by
ENR, our design professionals and project delivery teams have a
long history of developing engineered solutions and implementing
innovative technology for complex environments.
A Typical Day Might Include:
MOTIVATE & MENTOR
- Coaching, directing, coordinating,
facilitating, and supervising process engineering staff, including
all evaluation and employee relations responsibilities such as
workforce planning / staffing, hiring, development, advancement,
and performance management.
- Driving a mentality of making and meeting commitments and
ensuring employees feel connected, appreciated, and have meaningful
- Verifying discipline leads have defined respective work plans
for each project and monitoring progress to ensure key measures are
- Identifying strengths and weaknesses of department personnel to
prioritize training needs and develop / implement a training
- Supporting and driving strategic improvement initiatives and
performance improvement of self and staff.
PROJECT SUPPORT & CLIENT RELATIONS
- Overseeing process engineering efforts across our Advanced
Technology business unit to support strategic objectives and
- Leading a team of engineers responsible for supporting numerous
projects-including greenfield, brownfield, and conversion
projects-through all project phases, meeting financial objectives
- Supporting client maintenance and business development
activities such as assisting project managers in proposal and
- Preparing and monitoring project work and projected workload
schedules for the department.
- Developing project change orders and submitting them to the
- Serving as the point of contact between the department and
client with some travel required (up to 5%).
- Displaying agility with the ability to function efficiently in
a dynamic environment.
MONITOR & MANAGE
- Developing, organizing, and implementing discipline and
departmental standards, recordkeeping, and continuous
- Confirming the technical competency and quality of work
performed by the team, ensuring code compliance and good
engineering practice in issued deliverables, review submissions,
- Establishing, monitoring, and adhering to an annual planning
year budget, taking action to make changes and adjustments as
necessary to meet financial objectives, and being responsible for
department expenses, profit, and loss.
- Implementing strategic activities within the department to
achieve objectives of operations and corporate business.
Qualifications You'll Need on Day One:
- A bachelor's degree in chemical engineering (or an equivalent
engineering degree with relevant experience).
- At least three years of experience managing people with a
proven track record of organizational and employee
- Demonstrated skill in multidisciplinary coordination and
- Knowledge of chemical process engineering principals in an
industrial, semiconductor, chemical, or related industries.
- Demonstrated capability in process engineering design and
- Self-motivation, proactive and adaptable in nature.
- Strong organization and communication skills, highly
Bonus Points if You Have:
- A master's degree in chemical engineering or related
- A Professional Engineering (PE) license. SSOE - The Best of
At SSOE, our growth trajectory allows us to offer the opportunities
normally associated with a large firm while embracing the
collaborative and supportive culture often found in smaller firms.
As a member of the SSOE team, you'll work on exciting and diverse
projects for Fortune 100 clients around the globe, supported by the
best technology for the task at hand. You'll experience our
employee-centric culture that strives to offer a healthy balance,
flexible working arrangements, direct access to leadership at all
levels, and a mindset of continuous learning. Once you experience
the SSOE difference, you'll understand the why behind our
- 28% - of our employees have been with SSOE for 10 years or
- 15% - percentage of employees with tenure exceeding 15
- 99% - our CEO's approval rating on Glassdoor.
- 98% - portion of our clients who say they would recommend us to
A Sampling of What We Offer:
- A collaborative and supportive culture where you're not just a
number-you're a critical and highly valued member of our team.
- A multidisciplinary team that provides opportunities to
experience exciting projects from start to finish and interface
directly with some of the most forward-thinking clients in the
- A mindset of continuous learning where you're encouraged to ask
questions, bring fresh ideas to the table, and pursue your
professional development goals.
- A diversity of market sectors, project types, and geographic
locations that help insulate your career from economic ups and
- A formal career path and real opportunities for
- A holistic approach to compensation and benefits that supports
your physical and mental health, encourages work-life balance, and
empowers your career advancement and financial success.
Keywords: SSOE, Hillsboro , Chemical Process Engineering Department Manager, Executive , Hillsboro, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!