Automation Controls Engineer
Posted on: May 24, 2023
The PositionThe PositionAt Roche, 94,000 people across 100
countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working
together, we've become one of the world's leading research-focused
healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity,
and diversity. We believe every employee makes a difference. We
arepassionate about transforming patients' lives. We are courageous
in both decision and action, we believe that good business means a
better world. The Controls Engineer position is part of
Genentech's' ITOT team at the Hillsboro Individualized Therapy
(HIT) facility based in Hillsboro, Oregon. HIT is a next generation
cell and gene therapy facility with multiple technologies for
delivering individualized therapies. In this integral role, you
will be part of a dedicated cross-functional team responsible for
providing control system automation and system level engineering
capabilities and expertise for existing and future equipment
including generating and executing qualification protocols. Focus
on providing long-term support for existing facilities with respect
to the automation control systems for process, utility and building
systems. Lead automation impacting projects with small and/or
focused scope and provide input into strategic initiatives. The
ability to collaborate is crucial, and success in the role will
require the individual to thrive in a team environment and not act
solely as an individual contributor.Job
- Perform automation control (PLC/HMI) engineering services for
existing facility projects, including upgrades and capacity
expansions, equipment upgrading and replacement. Automation lead
for equipment/software FAT, field testing and commissioning
- Produce and review design drawings and specification documents
(URS, FS, DS, etc.).
- Generate, execute, and review design testing, generate and
participate in functional specification testing, and perform field
- Generate, execute, and review Installation and Operational
- Generate, review, and approve GMP Lifecycle Documents (e.g.
risk documents, trace matrices, periodic review, etc.) in
electronic document management systems.
- Initiate, execute, and track progress of change records.
- Manage personal project activities (design and qualification)
following Genentech/Roche business processes to deliver results
that are right first time, on-time with schedulerequirements and
reconciled to the budget
- Review and approve vendor information packages, including
drawings and specifications as directed to ensure validation and
control system requirements are met.
- Support plant operations to assess discrepant events and
changes for automation impact
- deliver automation solutions to resolve operational issues,
assist in troubleshooting and providing real time on floor support
of manufacturing operations, participate in sitecoordination
meetings and attend network meetings.
- Adhere to site SOPs and WIs for daily and project deliverables
and drive improvements to business processes.
- Attendance and participation in department and staff
- Maintain training qualifications.
- Interact with vendors ensure systems meet site
- Manage contractor staff, track project deliverables, and
provide status updates to project team.
- Fosters a positive safety culture in which no one gets
- Provide diagnostic troubleshooting assistance as required,
including off-hour support.Education and Experience
- Minimum of 8 years applicable automation and/or instrument and
control system experience.
- Pharmaceutical/biotech industry/GMP experience a
plus.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient knowledge of Rockwell (Local PLC/HMI and SCADA)
managing interfaces to external systems including OPC Servers,
interfaces to SAP and associated programming languages
- A demonstrated ability to apply automation solutions and
troubleshoot complex problems on highly automated equipment to
address business needs
- Demonstrate good organizational and time utilization
- Experience with Biopharmaceutical manufacturing, design or/and
- Knowledge of process, utility and building control
- Knowledge of GMP guidelines, experience in generation of
- Qualification experience related to control and computer
- Knowledge of ISA standards, P&IDs and practices for
- Knowledge of PID control theories and techniques.
- Ability to create and interpret electrical schematics and
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills with an ability to
interact well with a variety of
- Personalities, discipline skills and educational levels.
- Demonstrate good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to comply with cGMP requirements (gowning,
documentation, and procedures) forperforming work within the
- Demonstrate strong working knowledge of PC based programs and
web based systems.
- Ability to work independently with no direct supervision.Work
Environment/Physical Demands/Safety Considerations
- Work in a standard office environment.
- May work in the clean room environment that requires gowning in
the form of hospital scrubs,coveralls, gloves and steel toe boots.
No make-up or jewelry can be worn when working in the
- clean room environment.
- May work with hazardous materials and chemicals.Relocation
benefits are not available for this job posting.PLEASE NOTE: We
recognize that some candidates will consider applying for these
roles only if they meet all required and preferred qualifications.
Others will apply simply if they believe they generally fit the
profile of someone in this role. We are eager to have a diverse
pool of candidates and we are eager to be challenged to find new
and better ways of doing the work that we do. If you believe you
are qualified to do the work we have described here, and if you are
excited about the work, we encourage you to apply even if you are
not sure you meet every qualification. Thank youRoche is dedicated
to ensuring fair and transparent pay practices for its employees.
In compliance with state legal requirements, you may notice some of
our job postings will now list salary ranges. Please note that the
broad ranges are aligned with our global grading framework and, in
some cases, may also include geographic differentials.Roche is an
equal opportunity employer.Genentech is an equal opportunity
employer, and we embrace the increasingly diverse world around us.
Genentech prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color,
religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital
status and veteran status.Genentech requires all new hires to be
fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This
requirement is a condition of employment at Genentech, and it
applies regardless of whether the position is located at a
Genentech campus or is fully remote. If you are unable to receive
the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or
because it is prohibited as a result of your sincerely held
religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a
Keywords: Genentech, Hillsboro , Automation Controls Engineer, Engineering , Hillsboro, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...