CG Environment Artist
Company: LAIKA, Inc.
Posted on: June 25, 2022
The CG Environment Artist, under the guidance of the Production
Designer, VFX Supervisor, and Lead VFX Designer, is responsible for
generating 2D & 3D backgrounds, layouts, and environments which
establish a cohesive digital world for a stop motion animated
* Combine painting skills in animation software, with a knowledge
of photography, practical and digital modeling, and design, to
create 2D and 3D environments.
* Visualize, build, incorporate, and refine 2D matte paintings and
3D landscapes while ensuring cohesion with the Production Design
and Look of Show.
* Obtain a level of realism based on the art direction of the
* Create photorealistic paintings and elements that match concept
using 3D and 2D tools and techniques including camera setup,
modeling for projection, camera animation, projection setup, image
re-projection, atmospherics and light passes.
* Create digital matte paintings that meet creative direction using
live action elements, still photography, concept art, rendered CG
elements, and digital painted elements.
* Perform tasks related to integrating imagery into shots,
preserving a unified sense of lighting, perspective, and color;
build assets, as needed.
* Contribute to the development of visual ideas that enhance the
story by collaborating with set designers, layout artists, camera
team, and others.
* Incorporate environments into shot designs to inform camera team
setup and Art Department fabrication.
* Research references and resources for creation of environment
elements while incorporating existing storyboards, concept art,
drawings, VFX assets, etc.
* Participate in review sessions with other artists and Production
Designer on a consistent basis.
* 3+ years' experience designing CG environments and backgrounds
for photorealistic feature films and television.
* Excellent sense of color, lighting, texture, perspective, and
* Strong understanding of geography and landscape.
* Strong aesthetic sense and ability to interpret the unique
'style' of the film into 2D & 3D designs.
* Strong knowledge of 3D Development software - Z Brush, Mari,
Maya, Terragen, World Creator, and Unreal.
* Strong knowledge of Photoshop and Nuke.
* Ability to take direction and work both collaboratively and
independently as a creative problem-solver.
* Deadline driven; able to multi-task, adapt, and work well under
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described
here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is required to walk; stand; sit; use hands to operate
standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; balance;
stoop; talk or hear both in person and by telephone. The employee
must lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Vision abilities include
close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
* Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the
employee works under typical office conditions and is exposed to
variable indoor temperatures. The noise level is usually quiet or
moderate. In certain assignments, an employee may occasionally work
near moving equipment and be exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals,
airborne fumes and loud, prolonged noise (hearing protection
required when using power tools).
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required
of personnel so classified.
Please review our Employment Disclaimer and Materials Submission
Keywords: LAIKA, Inc., Hillsboro , CG Environment Artist, Advertising , Hillsboro, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!